Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:21:22 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Sperber <sperber@w3.brgkepler.asn-graz.ac.at>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TV, fxtv, too slow

Sperber:
 |>  |I just upgraded my computer and since this upgrade my tv doesn't work
 |>  |properly any more. - It's too slow.
 |>  |I had a K6-2 500 and a PCI (Riva TNT2) graphic card, now i have a
 |>  |Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz and a Geforce 2 MX (AGP).
 |>  |When I maximise the fxtv window it is suddenly interlaced and shadows of
 |>  |former pictures stay... - I tried several things, but nothing
 |>  |worked...  It's also intressting that my dga test is slower than the
 |>  |one of my cousin who has a Celeron 300, Matrox Milenium G450.
 |>
 |> Hmm.  Let's see your "fxtv -debug startup" output.
 |
 |Here it comes... ;)
 |     7     TrueColor     24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      Yes
 |     4     TrueColor     24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      No
 |     0     DirectColor   24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      No
 |     0     DirectColor   24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      No
 |Chosen Visual is 24-bpp TrueColor
 |
 |XF86VidModeQueryVersion() succeeded - version = 2.01

Looks good to me.  Appears you're using DGA, but why it'd be slow
(particularly with an AGP card) is a mystery.  It's sounds rather like the
DMA transfers for the frames are being aborted before they complete.  I
used to see this more often on my old Pentium system when I had a bunch of
other stuff going on on the PCI bus.

Do some searches on groups.google.com for your motherboard.  Could be
anything -- BIOS AGP/PCI settings or BIOS version-specific problems maybe?
Also, some versions of FreeBSD don't support the new Athlon MB chipsets
well.  I read about issues with my new MB chipset which are resolved in
-STABLE before I upgraded, so I SUPed 4.3-STABLE and no problems so far --
works great.  FWIW, I've got an ASUS A7M266 here, and I'm also DMAing video
across the PCI-AGP bridge.  The northbridge is AMD 761; southbridge: VIA 686B.
For the 686B, there were also IDE data corruption issues resolved by the
latest BIOS IIRC.

FWIW, I just upgraded from a K6-III-400/Matrox G200 PCI to a Thunderbird
1.2GHz/Matrox G450 32MB DDR AGP4X and DGA still works great.  I was also
amazed that fxtv without DGA (slow SHM XImages) only eats 3% CPU ;-) So if
you can't resolve your DGA problems, disabling DGA (disableDirectV) is an
option to consider.  You won't get max FPS at max res but it sure doesn't
dog the system down (here at least).  YMMV.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com