Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:47:26 -0700
From:      Jeff Connelly <shellreef@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/67745: boot fails on compaq presario r3000z

Here's some more data points. Boot fails on these models:

Compaq X1000
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20697
"It's a p4 2.4GhZ with 256MB ram, 64MB (shared) Radeon 9000GP w/
builtin Broadcom wlan b+g+bluetooth, DVD+CDRW... [...] I boot from cd
(no floppy drive) and I get to the initial menu to choose the
different ways to boot. I can choose any one of them and it starts to
boot, then stops turning, then power's off. "

Compaq Presario R3030
http://archive.pilgerer.org/mharc/html/freebsd-current/2004-05/msg00533.html
"CVS checkout of last thursday [May 6th, 2004], made complete new CD set.
[...] Everything goes nice (for the first few seconds ;-))
than I get the "Welcome to FreeBSD!" bootmenu,
but whatever I choose here, it displays the kernel load message
and then shuts power off ...."

HP Pavilion zv5000z
http://archive.pilgerer.org/mharc/html/freebsd-current/2004-06/msg01951.html
"There are at least 5 other people I have noticed who
have expressed this behavior in different places.
I would be willing to run some kind of diagnostic on
my equipment if you can recommend something. FBSD 4.10 [i386
gives no error messages. It just powers down after a
few seconds."

Compaq Presario R3000Z Series
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/67745 - original bug report

Compaq Presario R3140US - personally confirmed

NetBSD and Linux can boot the same computers with no problem:
http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/ - Slackware
http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/linux/compaq-r3000/ - (R3190US) Debian
http://xyzzy.freeshell.org/dmesg-gentoo-amd64-compaq_presario_r3140us
http://xyzzy.freeshell.org/dmesg-netbsd-i386-compaq_presario_r3140us
http://xyzzy.freeshell.org/dmesg-netbsd-amd64-compaq_presario_r3140us

I'm cc'ing this to freebsd-ia32 and freebsd-mobile as this isn't
exclusively an AMD64 issue, it occurs on Pentium 4 notebooks as well
as Athlon 64's under i386 mode. Its seems to be specific to newer
HP/Compaq laptops.

Any suggestions or fixes would be greatly appreciated. :) I really
want to get FreeBSD on this machine so I'll try just about anything.

Thanks,
-Jeff Connelly