Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:30:25 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (oops!) converting sound from /dev/audio format to /dev/dsp

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 04:49:04PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Is there a formula to convert a sound captured from /dev/audio to something
> > that will work well when piped into /dev/dsp?  I did a quick 'gnuplot' of
> > the values of both, and don't see any obvious correlations.

> the "sox" program will do the conversion you need. /dev/audio produces
> a compressed (u-law) format whereas /dev/dsp is linear 8-bit as you
> say. u-law has a better dynamic range, though.

Thanks, I'll check this out.  (dynamic range is not a real concern -- it simply
needs to be non-irritating to listen too, and as small as possible).

> (of course you can pipe it to /dev/audio and get recognizable audio as
> well...)

The problem is: I now have two formats of files... linear seems to be much
easier to work on (when I'm writing the filter programs -- I figured out
linear by looking at a graph of part of a file, ulaw is not as obvious).

Anyway, thank you for the pointer.

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
  A horse without a nose... never wins. (unknown)