Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2009 07:13:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not use normal CONFLICTS in lang/gcc43 instead of custom?

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> I am trying to install x11/gnome2 last night and the build has gotten
> stop at lang/gcc43, because of conflict with lang/gcc295. But wait, I
> don't have lang/gcc295 install. I only have ccache installed that has
> put 'gcc295' in /usr/local/libexec/ccache/ and this path is in the front
> of my PATH. It caused lang/gcc43 to find it by mistake.

I'm afraid you indeed ran into a false positive here, alas there is good
news -- see below...

> Puzzled me for you to not use the CONFLICTS, so why not use it? If you
> really can't use CONFLICTS, then can you use the full path of gcc295?
> Thanks.

Originally I had CONFLICTS, but that does not work as you may think since
it only gets active after the build, at which point the user will have run
into the build failure.  So, upon request by somone (in portmgr?) I added
the current check.

Using the full path will not work too well either with different LOCALBASEs
though I guess one could check /usr/local, $PREFIX, and $LOCALBASE and
consider that good enough.

Now for the good news: lang/gcc295 is a living dead.  It has not built for
some eight, nine months and I have deprecated all dependencies (I think),
and plan to yank this port finally now.

(If anyone wants to start with that, I'm barely online for the next week,
and it would be nice to see the process starting...)

Gerald