Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 05:36:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
Cc:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clustering freebsd

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 07:45:13PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> > Does anyone know of some list of clustering software?  Is there
> > anything I can use today to do #2 that runs on freebsd (or other bsd
> > systems)?
>
> For most application it means rewriting the software for the use in a
> cluster.
>
> Check the port system for the strings cluster, MPI, there is
> thirty option but i forgot this. (you find it on some site looking for
> MPI; could be MVP but i'm not sure).

PVM.  There are variants of MPI too, MPICH, LAM, etc.  There are even
variants for specific hardware like Myrinet.

You may also want to look into the PBS port, although its sort of old
and should be updated to a more recent OpenPBS version (I have 2.3.14,
which is free from the nastier license terms).  There is also a SLURM
port that has appeared recently and someone was working on a SGE port
too.

These are more HPC clustering tools though and you seem to be looking
in the HA space instead.

"Clustering software" is rather a broad category.  There is software
in that category that runs on FreeBSD, but you'll need to be more
specific to get better answers :).

I don't believe FreeBSD currently has anything for transparent process
migration like BProc or MOSIX (although IIRC MOSIX was originally
written for BSD).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org