Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:17:05 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [video] tuner input format issues

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis:
 |Indeed, after sending them I found some other missing modifications.
 |They are mostly related to X widgets interface, so I think you should
 |already have seen them.

I might have, but you might give me a clue just as a double-check.

 |// First, I'm assuming that selecting anything but NTSC/M, NTSC/J, or
 |// PAL/M on a non-NTSC tuner isn't really a valid thing to do.  Similarly
 |// for selecting the three above types on, say, a Temic or Philips PAL
 |// tuner.  And is anything but SECAM valid on a Philips SECAM tuner?
 |
 |You are right, but I think you could still insert video through the RCA
 |conector.  Probably a very rare condition, but possible.
 |// I'd add this ioctl myself if I knew all the input-format capabilities of
 |// each tuner.  If you know (Jonny, or anyone), fill me in and I'll cook the
 |// driver patch.
 |
 |I also don't know (yet).  But with my comments above, maybe this is not
 |desirable, is it ?

Yeah, I think it still would be useful.  When on the tuner input, it'd be
good to grey-out the choices not supported by the tuner.  These wouldn't be
greyed out when the selected input was the RCA jacks since the tuner
wouldn't be configured then (or at least "shouldn't" I'd think).  When
on the tuner, this would prevent bogus attempts to configure NTSC tuners
for PAL625 formats, and vice versa.

Also, for tuner or RCA input, it would be nice to get the 640x480x30 and
768x576x25 hard-coded values out of the app and pull them from the driver
per input format.

Randall