Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:48:34 -0400
From:      Elliott Perrin <elliott@c7.ca>
To:        Nathan Biondi <nbiondi@iridiumir.com>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: haproxy and heartbeat

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 14:23 -0700, Nathan Biondi wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with setting up Haproxy and Heartbeat on
> FreeBSD for a mysql and apache cluster?  In particular I am confused about a
> section of a tutorial I found in which the line "net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind=1"
> is to be put into sysctl.conf and then sysctl -p is supposed to be run.
> However FreeBSD's sysctl does not have this -p flag available.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Nathan Biondi

Hi Nathan,

I have a FreeBSD cluster running with 4 apache web servers, 2 DB
servers, 2 NFS servers and 2 firewalls out in front All machines run
FreeBSD. I built this using CARP as the basis of communications for
redundancy / load balancing with a unique configuration that has been
running for a couple of years now. This cluster is fully redundant with
automatic failovers built in in case of service / host outages. I am
not using HAProxy or heartbeat, but I would be able to help you (I have
used those packages before) if you can provide some more information
about what you are trying to do, current configurations and such. If
you would like to communicate privately regarding this feel free to
drop me an email.

As far as changing that sysctl variable, putting that line into
sysctl.conf will cause that value to be set at boot time. If you want
to change the current value of that MIB just do

sysctl net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind=1

from the command line as root, however I do not see that MIB on any of
my 7-STABLE or 6-STABLE machines. Where did it say that you should make
that sysctl adjustment, and what version of FreeBSD are you running?

Cheers,
Elliott Perrin
elliott@c7.ca