Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:57:14 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        Chris Torek <chris.torek@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 14-stable on AMD7950X: Good and bad news

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:11:01 -0700
Chris Torek <chris.torek@gmail.com> wrote:

> I built and booted up the latest 14-stable tree on my
> AMD7950X machine:
>
> Good news: the mysterious AHCI adapter problem is gone, presumably
> because of the new PCI range allocation code. So now both sets of SATA
> ports work (at least, the drive I've left plugged in to the previously-failing
> port now shows up).
>
> Bad news: building drm-61-kmod, then loading amdgpu.ko,
> causes a crash.
>
> The immediate problem is that vm_phys_fictitious_unreg_range()
> does this:
>
>         rw_wlock(&vm_phys_fictitious_reg_lock);
>         seg = RB_FIND(fict_tree, &vm_phys_fictitious_tree, &tmp);
>         if (seg->start != start || seg->end != end) {
>
> At line 1115, `seg` is NULL, so we die with a kernel segfault. It's probably
> a good idea to add a NULL test here since RB_FIND can return NULL.
> (Presumably just stick `sig == NULL ||` in front of the start/end tests.)
>
> It's not clear why the unregister is failing though, as the drm code
> seems correct at first glance.
>
> It *is* clear why it's unregistering, though, as the console printed:
>
>     drmn0: could not load firmware image 'amdgpu/psp_13_0_5_toc.bin'

 amdgpu is known to be bad at unloading and also unregistering when
firmware isn't present, please test again after installing the firmware
(using fwget(8) should work, if you still missed firmware after that
please install all amdgpu firmware packages and report which one are
needed for you pciid so we can fix fwget(8)).

> and the expected subsequent cleanup messages (and now I've run
> out of Stuff I Just Know Off-Hand at this point so I'll have to dig
> into this more).
>
> Chris

 Cheers,

--