Date:      Fri,  7 Jan 2005 16:03:02 +0100
From:      matricks@teepop.net
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI IXP development

Quoting Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@kt-is.co.kr>:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 05:04:40AM +0100, Magnus Auvinen wrote:
>  > (if this is the wrong mailing list for these questions please direct me
>  > to the right one)
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Questions outline:
>  > 1) Have anyone done any development to support ATI IXP chip set?
>  > 2) How does the GPL license affect the porting the driver from ALSA?
>  >
>  > I have a ASUS Pundit-R
>  > (http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Pundit-R&langs=01). Everything
>  > works fine except that I have no sounds. The specifications for the
>  > computer says that its an ADI AD1888 chip and pciconf tells me that
>  > it's a "AD1981 AC'97 Audio Controller by ATI. This seams to be
>  > unsupported by FreeBSD. What is needed is a driver for ATI chip called
>  > IXP200.
>  >
>  > Is there anyone who is developing drivers for this setup? (1) I thought
>  > I might port the driver (atiixp.c/h) from ALSA to FreeBSD. The chipid
>  > numbers in those files matches those with pciconf. If no one has done
>  > any development on this I think I will give it a try. Those files go
>  > under GPL. How does that affect the development? (2)
>  >

> Glad to see a someone who can write new audio driver.
> It seems that the datasheet of AD1888 is publicly available.
> So I guess you can release the driver under BSD license.
> http://www.chipcatalog.com/Analog/Datasheet/AD1888.htm
>
> Good luck.
>
>  > .magnus auvinen
>  >
> --
> Regards,
> Pyun YongHyeon
> http://www.kr.freebsd.org/~yongari	|	yongari@freebsd.org

I'm not sure I can write it. Never written a driver before but I've coded C/C++
for many years and have basic understanding how drivers work and how to develop
them. Somewhere you have to take the first step and this seams like a good place
to start.

I looked at the atiixp driver for ALSA and one of the FreeBSD AC'97 drivers and
I don't see why I shouldn't be able to peice something together. If you have
some information that I should read except the Developers Handbook, please
enlighten me.

.magnus auvinen