Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2007 02:49:23 +0100
From:      Jona Joachim <walkingshadow@grummel.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   allBSD's "Stop the Blob" Campaign

--Sig_RDJ1G15a=ej6rnEMTvUgFFm

Hi!

I heard of the "Stop the Blob" campaign led by allBSD [1] today.
The FreeBSD logo is used in their flyer [2] which means
that the FreeBSD Project is supporting the campaign.
However FreeBSD uses binary blobs (even includes them in the source
tree), notably those provided by Atheros and NVIDIA.
Including third party code in the main tree of FreeBSD makes the
project depend on the organization providing the software.
On top of that there is a big security concern. The FreeBSD developers
have absolutely no idea about how well and how secure the code provided
by these companies is written. Not later than October last year a huge
security hole was discovered in NVIDIA blob drivers permitting to
acquire root privileges [3].

Would it be possible to clarify the position of the project regarding
proprietary drivers?

Best regards,
Jona

[1] http://www.allbsd.de/en/
[2] http://misc.allbsd.de/Kampagnen/NoBlob/NoBlob-en-Poster.jpg
[3] http://download2.rapid7.com/r7-0025/

--=20
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns
laugh in happy anarchy. I am chaos. I am alive, and tell you that you
are free." Eris, Goddess Of Chaos, Discord & Confusion