Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:38:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw userland breaks again.

    !@#$Q@#$@#$@#$

    This is about the 90th time my -current box has become unusable.
    First it won't let me installworld because of some signal snafu with
    the kernel being too old, then, as usual, IPFW with the new kernel and
    old world fails utterly and now the fragging machine can't access the
    network which means I can't installworld.  So now I have to boot the
    old kernel, install the new ipfw, then reboot so I can install the new
    world.

    I am really getting sick and tired of the ipfw userland breaking every
    other week.  It makes the system unusable when IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
    is not specified in the kernel config.

    I am going to add an ioctl() that unbreaks the firewall for these cases.
    ipfw -unbreak or something like that, which doesn't fail whenever someone
    changes the ipfw kernel interface.

					    -Matt