Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:06:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com (Howard Lew)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970814.tgz

> Okay, I just had a chance to throw this in for a compile.  I have to say
> it is looking much better.  There is a hang though... dunno if it has to
> do with the dma stuff.

no, it has to do with me not having had a chance to look at the opti925
specs :) but I have them now, and your output is very helpful since I
can see now that your board only supports a soundblaster.

> Luigi, is there a way to choose between MSS or SB emulation on these Opti
> chipsets?  I was looking at the Opti 925 spec sheet and there is even
> mention about SB 4.4 mode operation on the chip (Is that SB 16
> emulation?) and OPL4...

if you look at the code in opti931_attach, there is a if (0) { ...
block which enables sb emulation. I'll hadd specific support for the
925 i  in the next snap. Right now I am fighting with the opti
chipsets, thoug, since the 931 behaves much differently from what the
data sheets say, and I hope the 931 is not as different.

> It would be nice if MSS (16 bit) was chosen as the default for these
> compatibles or have an option to set it because SB Pro is only 8 bit sound.

the 931 has a MSS codec inside; the 925, on the other hand, seems to
have only a SB codec, so you cannot have MSS but only SBpro/SB16.
However it is not true that the SB is 8bit; it is half duplex (or messy
full-duplex, with one 8-bit chan and the other using 16-bit(.

	Cheers
	Luigi