Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:40:18 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Jacob Meuser <jakemsr@jakemsr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   bsdav status on FreeBSD (was: Re: Buying a TV Capture card (pinnacle, hauppauge: wincast, pvr, etc))

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 21:12:26 -0800
Jacob Meuser <jakemsr@jakemsr.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:44:18PM -0200, Mario Sergio Fujikawa
> Ferreira wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I am considering acquiring a tv capture card in order to
> > build a personal PVR system. Besides helping me test the video
> > capture support of some ports I maintain.

 [ ... ]

> IMO, mplayer/mencoder should not be used to judge image quality
> or performance of bktr(4).  I get stutter from those programs that I
> don't get from other programs.  and they do some video processing
> instead of direct display.
>
> IMO, and I'm probably biased on this, bktrplay from bsdav is
> a really good program for testing quality of bktr cards.  it's
> simple and straight forward.  no filtering and it does not try to
> force the frame rate (which is AFAICT where the stutter in
> mplayer/mencoder comes from) but uses the signals from bktr(4)
> to refresh the frames.  also, run it with -vvv from a console
> and you will get useful diagnostics (actual frame rate).

I'm sorry, I didn't have time to import the OpenBSD  changes in bktr [1]
code (not resetting the channel when accessing bktr), hence the port is
still marked broken.

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/bktr/bktr_core.c.diff?r1=1.15&r2=1.16

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #372:
Forced to support NT servers; sysadmins quit