Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:50:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        finlayson@live.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem enabling ESS sound card with PCI<->PCMCIA adaptor

In message: <4.3.1.1.20020831125707.00bd0140@laptop-localhost>
            Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com> writes:
: In The Beginning, I had a Lucent Orinoco PCI<->PCMCIA (for a "wi" device)
: installed in my PC running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE.  God (Warner Losh) had told
: me to put
: 	hw.pcic.ignore_function_1=1
: in my "/boot/loader.conf" file, to stop the kernel from hanging.

Actually, with a new enough 4.6-stable, verily the code has changed
and in this change much goodness issues forth from every byte.  The
hang has gone away and the bugs have been banished.  And the people
feasted on jackelopes, and ground sloths, and ....

: But then, I decided that wanted to also enable my PC's sound card: an ESS
: Allegro.  I tried adding
: 	snd_maestro3_load="YES"
: to my "/boot/loader.conf",  but this wedged the kernel.  (Ditto if I
: instead ran
: 	kldload snd_maestro3
: at runtime.)

Odd.

: Andy Sparrow then suggested that I *also* add
: 	hw.pcic.intr_path=1
: 	hw.pcic.irq=0

This is bad.  For a pci card this cannot work, unless you've hacked
the pci card to funnel the serial interrupt line to your
south-bridge's serial interrupt line.  You must use intr_path of 2.

: without hanging the kernel.  However, this had the unfortunate side effect
: of preventing my "wi0" device from getting enabled:

: 	pccard: card inserted, slot 0
: 	wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 13 slot 0 on pccard0
: 	pcic0: Hardware does not support irq 13.

irq 13 is not supported by the hardware, so no wonder it fails.

: So, any ideas for what I can do to make both my "wi0" device, and my ESS
: sound card, work??

I'm not sure what is causing the deadly embrace between the two.  Are
they sharing the same interrupt?

Warner