Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:20:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   MPEG2 encoder and DV

I am currently working on the following and thought I'd check
if others have any of the pieces already or have any
pointers.

I plan to hook my Sony DCR-VX700 (Digital Video Camera w/fire wire
interface) to a Sony DVBK-1000 card (single port fire wire) and then
feed the captured data from the camera into a software MPEG-2
encoder under FreeBSD.

The DVBK board has control for single frame accurate control of
the camera, hence, I can step it along as each frame is needed by
the MPEG 2 encoder software.

The area that is still unknown is the hardware/software interface
to the DVBK card.  I haven't any idea whom to talk
to about this.  The card includes software to control everything from
MSwindows95 and write the image to a 900K BMP which I can convert.

However, I'd prefer to get the DVBK board operating under FreeBSD
directly, or possibly the Adaptec AHA8940 (triple fire wire
interface card).

If I go with the Adaptec card I'm not sure if I get the camera control.

If you have any information which might be relavent I'd
appreciate hearing of it.

Brian Litzinger
brian@mediacity.com