Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:17:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, multimedia@freebsd.org, users@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: * GUS PnP Pro + SNAP 960612 + SOYO - please help *

> > Does the motherboard actually have PnP BIOS?
>
> Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
> Copyright Award Software Inc
[ ... ]

> > The ethernet cards must be identified to the PnP BIOS as well so that
> > their address assignments aren't conflicted.  A Real(tm) PnP BIOS
> > will have a CMOS setup that lets you locate state cards in the
> > interference graph so the PnP assignments will not conflict.
>
> In my test today:
>
> SMC irq is 10, port is 300, iomem is cc000
> GUS irq is 11, port is 220, dma is now 5,7 (1,3 tested also)

These are BIOS-generated messages?

> In kernel I have
>
> device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10  iomem 0xcc000 vector edintr
> controller      snd0
> device gus0 at isa? vector gusintr
>
> If gus is in the box I am getting    ed0 timeout  if I take gus out ed0
> works OK.
>
> So there must be some other pci card conflicting with ed0 when gus is in.
>
> * Ah. Now it works. I did change ed0 to irq 3 port 280 iomem d0000 *
>
> But I understand this at all ...

It is the GUS.  It is swallowing a lot of ports, but you have only a 1.0A
(very old) version of the BIOS.  You will need to turn off PnP or physically
relocate the cards to avoid collision.

You haven't really said whether the ethernet card is a PnP card or not.
If it isn't, you must put it in the CMOS, or the PnP BIOS can't see it.
Since an old PnP BIOS can't see the multiple ranges used by the GUS
anyway, this is probably irrelevant.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---