Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:38:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "J. Kanowitz" <jkanowitz@snet.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   3D with MGA on XFree86 4.3.0 / 5.0-RELEASE?

Keeping this brief, I'm a lazy sod, and it's fairly
obvious the 4.3.0 integration is in flux.

I've got a G200:
drm0: <Matrox G200 (AGP)> mem
0xf7800000-0xf7ffffff,0xf77fc000-0xf77fffff,0xf6000000-0xf6ffffff
irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1

On:
FreeBSD mustelid.gateway.2wire.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
5.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Feb  8 22:13:06 EST 2003
floid@mustelid.gateway.2wire.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MUSTELID
 i386

Under previous versions of XFree86 4, I've built
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server with
-DWITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER and all has been well.  [It
was never well without the Matrox code; I'm honestly
not sure if that's supposed to be the case.]

With 4.3.0, I've not seen the usual reminder about the
driver, and blindly specifying WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER
(without bothering to pore over the build output; see
previous comment on 'lazy') doesn't do the trick:

(II) Loading sub module "mga_hal"
(II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
(II) UnloadModule: "mga_hal"
(EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does
not exist, 0)

Annoyingly, this means GL apps lock my system, or more
specifically for those tracking such things, they
manage to mung something that kills the keyboard to
the point of inoperative num/scroll/caps LEDs, while
leaving the USB mouse (and the rest of the system)
mostly operative.

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port
0x64,0x60 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0

ums0: Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with
IntelliEye(TM), rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1

--

So after all that blather, all I want to know is:

A. Is mga_hal [deprecated|not yet available|broken],
or do I just need to stop being stupid?

B. If the last, where should I be looking to start not
being stupid?

-Thanks, (Doubleplusthanks to all who've brought 5.0
to -RELEASE, of course!)
-Joe "Floid" Kanowitz