Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:55:14 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Ian Freislich <iang@digs.iafrica.com>
Cc:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu (David E. Cross), multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stuttering in Mpeg3 playback

>From The Desk Of Ian Freislich :

> FWIW: I have the old Gravis Ultra Sound 3.4 with 1024k RAM on board
> and I'm running the guspnp17 driver.
>
> > Has anyone else experienced this.  Is it a problem with my sound card,
> > the kernel, or OSS?
>
> I have found that this problem is less pronounced if I use mpg123
> version 0.59g.
>
> I suspect a kernel/OSS problem since I made some mods to the buffer
> routine in mpg123 to only start playing once it had filled up the
> buffer. In this test I set the buffer size to 4096k. Even when it
> started playing with 4096k of pre-buffered audio it still stuttered.
>
> Something else of note is that when it started playing I used to
> get those 'isa_dmastart: channel %d busy' messages for the duration
> of the stutter until that routine was moved into the sound driver
> or the message was removed from isa.c.

Hi Ian,

Care to post your gus configuration ?

my config is
CPU PPro 200Mhz, 48Mb
gusp pnp pro with 1mb of memory

Checking for GUS Plug-n-Play ...
Board Vendor ID: GRV0001     Board Serial Number: ffffffff
gus0 at 0x220 irq 11 drq 5 flags 0x107 on isa

I don't get any stutter when playing mp3 44khz 16bit mpeg streams

	Tnks,
	Amancio