Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:48:46 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 7.0 RC2 usb keyboard and mouse problems

--On Thursday, February 21, 2008 20:41:59 +0100 Nikolaj Thygesen
<mailinglist@diamondbox.dk> wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> I just installed 7.0 RC2 on a brand new Dell - dual processor dual
>> core Intel (so four processors), and I'm losing the keyboard and mouse
>> after taking certain actions. For example, I started setting up X
>> (Xorg --configure) and then launched it (X -config
>> /root/xorg.conf-new), and when I get to the GUI the mouse and keyboard
>> are gone. Sometimes I can restore functionality by unplugging the
>> devices and then plugging them back in. This is happening in the
>> console as well, not just in the GUI.
>>
>> I've fetched the latest sources using cvsup. Will rebuilding the
>> kernel solve this problem? Is this a known issue?
>>
>> usbhidctl shows ums0, ums1, ukbd0 and ukbd1 to be busy.
>>
>> [root@utd65257 ~]# usbhidctl -a -f /dev/ums0
>> usbhidctl: /dev/ums0: Device busy
>> [root@utd65257 ~]# usbhidctl -a -f /dev/ums1
>> usbhidctl: /dev/ums1: Device busy
>> [root@utd65257 ~]# usbhidctl -a -f /dev/ukbd
>> ukbd0 ukbd1
>> [root@utd65257 ~]# usbhidctl -a -f /dev/ukbd0
>> usbhidctl: /dev/ukbd0: Device busy
>> [root@utd65257 ~]# usbhidctl -a -f /dev/ukbd1
>> usbhidctl: /dev/ukbd1: Device busy
>>
>> This is what I see after unplugging both devices and plugging them in
>> to different usb receptacles.
>>
>> usbdevs
>> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>> addr 2: product 0x2105, vendor 0x413c
>> addr 3: product 0x4d15, vendor 0x0461
>> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>> addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
>> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>> addr 3: product 0x2105, vendor 0x413c
>> addr 2: product 0x4d15, vendor 0x0461
>> addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
>>
>> FreeBSD utd65257.utdallas.edu 7.0-RC2-p1 FreeBSD 7.0-RC2-p1 #0: Tue
>> Feb 12 22:23:33 UTC 2008
>> root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>>
>> grep usb /var/run/dmesg.boot
>> usb0: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci0
>> usb0: USB revision 1.0
>> uhub0: <Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usb0
>> usb1: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci1
>> usb1: USB revision 1.0
>> uhub1: <Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usb1
>> usb2: waiting for BIOS to give up control
>> usb2: EHCI version 1.0
>> usb2: wrong number of companions (3 != 2)
>> usb2: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1
>> usb2: <EHCI (generic) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
>> usb2: USB revision 2.0
>> uhub2: <Intel EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usb2
>> usb3: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci2
>> usb3: USB revision 1.0
>> uhub3: <Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usb3
>> usb4: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci3
>> usb4: USB revision 1.0
>> uhub4: <Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usb4
>> usb5: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci4
>> usb5: USB revision 1.0
> [...]

I found a post in stable describing the exact same issue.  The OP "solved" it
by connecting a hub to a port on the back of the machine and then connecting
the keyboard and mouse to the hub.  So, I plugged in one of my monitors and
then connected the keyboard and mouse to the monitor, and they work fine.

I joined the stable list so I can report this and possibly help troubleshoot it.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst