Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 22:21:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      drifter@stratos.net
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bizarre 2-in-1 8-bit Soundcard/Modem/Midi upgrade problem

    Hi,

    I have a strange problem here, and I was wondering if any of you
guys could help out. Basically, for over a year I have been using the
sound card supplied by my OEM vendor (NEC Ready 9701, for what it's
worth).
    Windows 95 listed it as an Aztech Sound III (or something to that
effect), and it includes a sound blaster Pro compatible device, as
well as a MPU MIDI look-a-like.
    It also contains my modem.
    Well, any way, it was only capable of 8-bit sound, and some sound
programs let off an obnoxious noise when it tried to play 16-bit music
under FreeBSD (2.2-RELENG, 2.2.5 and 2.2.6-RELEASE).  One example is
Doom, another is RealAudio under 16-bit mode.
    Windows seems to mask out the noise well enough,
but I thought it was time maybe to upgrade to a 16-bit sound card, so
I bought the SoundBlaster 16 (which also has sbvxi and sbmidi).
    Unfortunately, this doesn't come with a modem.  Therefore, I have
to keep the old sound card in just for the modem.
    Here's my problem:
    Under Windows95, I can disable the old Aztech drivers (except the
modem, of course) using the "Device" tab of the "Properties" dialog
under "My Computer."  Then I just leave the new SB16 drivers in.  I
have 16-bit sound and I can use my modem.
    Under FreeBSD, on the other hand, I can't.  I tried the old fashioned
way (without Luigi's PnP code), but it only would recognize my old
sound card.  I even tried the boot-under-windows-let-PnP-configure-cards-
then-reboot-under-FreeBSD-method, but it still wouldn't recognize the
card (Just the Aztechs).
    I then tried with:

	options pnp0
        device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

But when I rebooted, it would give me:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: AZT3000 [0x00305407] Serial 0xffffffff
CSN 2 Vendor ID: CTL00f0 [0xf0008c0e] Serial 0xffffffff
This is a SB16 PnP, but LDN 0 is disabled
..
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
pcm1 not found at 0xffffffff

    Not only was CSN 2 disabled, but for some strange reason, even though
I had specified pcm0 in my config, the driver was looking for pcm1. I
recompiled with "pcm1" specified, and on boot-up, it failed looking for
"pcm2"!
    I made unsuccessful attempts to disable CSN1 under config -c, and
experimented with enabling/disabling PnP support in the BIOS (Phoenix).
Nothing worked.
    As a final resort, I yanked out my Aztech sound card (along with
my modem), and the sound driver still failed to detect it. (CSN2 SB16
became CSN1, and it was not disabled, but I still had the running
pcm0 -> pcm1 problem).
    Lastly, I used the old Voxware version, with the IRQs, ports, and
DRQs set up exactly as reported in Windows95, and rebooted with
the Aztech yanked.  It FINALLY worked (but with no modem, of course.)

    Question: Is there a way to get FreeBSD 2.2.6 to recognize the SB16
sound card, rather than the Aztech? Even with both cards installed?  I
don't care if it involves the Voxware method or Luigi PnP, just so
long as it works.  Also, it needs to be able to recognize the modem
on COM1: (or /dev/cuaa0).
    Will I just have to splurge for a new external modem on COM2?

    Thanks:

	-Rob