Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:27:45 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, questions-list freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to create NTFS file system from FreeBSD?

Chris Rees wrote:
> 2009/4/11 Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>:
>> Yuri wrote:
>>> I need to format NTFS partition to give HD to someone to write things
>> mkntfs from sysutils/ntfsprogs should do it.
>>

> Yuri had already written ONE LINE below your quote:
>
>> I tried to use mkntfs from ports/ntfsprogs but it didn't finish after an extremely long time, > 24hrs.

Yes, sorry, I totally failed to make my point, since I scrapped that
line and forgot about it writing the mail. (The important part was in
the parenthesis you removed.)

My point is that I had problems with ntfsresize from ntfsprogs-2.0.0 not
working, while ntfsresize from ntfsprogs-1.13.1 was doing just fine. (I
hit that twice -- on different computers.)

Thus, I would suggest to try mkntfs from ntfsprogs-1.13.1, if mkntfs
from ntfsprogs-2.0.0 fails.

If the older mkntfs works, it would be another reason to revive the old
port.

ntfsprogs-2.0.0 was criticized, for example in the thread ending with
this posting:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-May/msg02306.html

A developer from ntfs-3g that formerly worked on ntfsprogs recommends to
use the older version: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#ntfsprogs

I do not really know who is right, but ntfs-3g is actively developed
while ntfsprogs is not, other people seem to trust ntfs-3g more than the
newer version of ntfsprogs, and the arguments of the ntfs-3g developer
sound reasonable.

I wrote about it last year (before I actually hit problems):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-August/050157.html

The reply was that there are no new problems known with the 2.0.0
version:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-August/050406.html

I would like to have ntfsprogs-1.13.1 back -- as ports/ntfsprogs1 or by
reverting ports/ntfsprogs. Thus, Yuri, please try and report back.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik