Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 13:08:57 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
Cc:        Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANN: Fxtv 0.48

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Fxtv doesn't use JPEG, but the latest TIFF apparently depends on it now.
> So, fxtv must also.

You only need to depend on the explicit dependencies for that port only. If X
depends on Y, and Y on Z, then the build process will look for 'Y', and if it
doesn't find it, go away and build Z, then Y, then return to X. If Y exists,
then it's assumed Z was built and used appropriately too.

So, you don't need libjpeg here.

> On 3.0-RELEASE, it's "jpeg-6b".  On 3.0-STABLE, it's "jpeg".  On
> 4.0-current, it's "jpeg".  On 2.2.8, who knows -- the ports directory is
> empty.
>
> I'd like to have one port that builds on all versions, particularly those
> that are released (2.2.8 and 3.0).  So my basic question is, how to cook
> this universal port?

When your port update gets committed, how are people going to have access to
it unless they update their ports collection (cvsup, whatever)? If they update
their ports collection, they at the same time get the current port framework
for libjpeg, and everything else. If they try and only update one collection
(e.g. ports-graphics) then in this case it will still work, since fxtv and
jpeg are both in graphics. In general however, people are expected to upgrade
the whole lot at once if they want to upgrade at all, otherwise things will
not work.

In other words, build your ports against the 'head' of the ports collection
(where things are now) - it's the only supported ports collection for all
FreeBSD releases.

Of course, now that -stable is 3.x and -current is 4.x, support for 2.x in
ports is optional for maintainers/submitters (see the recent announcement).

> 2) Or can I just eliminate the jpeg LIB_DEPENDS entry?
>
>    Maybe the ports system is smart enough to know that because I depend on
>    TIFF, and TIFF depends on JPEG, then by transitivity I depend on JPEG (?).
>    And it'll register the JPEG dependency appropriately.

Yes.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.