Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 1996 07:08:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stupid sound question

Can I ask some stupid sound question?  I don't see the sound man
pages, plus I'd like someone who knows the system to sketch the
right way to do this as I suspect there are many ways to skin
this cat (sorry Jordan).

I have a heavily loaded system calibrating some equipment.  It
continuously uploads data from these systems at 115200 over serial
ports, monitors them, and sends back new data while running the
units through test sequences.

I'd now like to add sound support for when a problem crops up (a
thermocouple opens, for example) or for when operator action is
required (out with the old unit, in with a new).

I'd like to download a set of sequences (only about 16) to a
sound card RAM at system start up, and then if I ever want to send
out one of these sequences just send a byte or two to the card.
Essentially I don't mind doing any amount of work at system
initialization but want to do zero work at run time.  I realize
I probably don't have to do it this way but like the design as it
doesn't change system loading, and we aren't losing any input yet.

These sounds will be either loops (alarms) that run continuously
until stopped by operator action or a single sound alarm that would
get played out once (unit in bay 2 is shut down and can be taken out).

This will be mono, driving a single external amplified speaker (with
external volume control), and cheaper is good given the requirements
of the application but I'm not price sensitive for quality.

Do we have an out-of-the-box solution for this?  What hardware
is recommended and what software?

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936