Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:29:02 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Frobnoid <frobnoid@antharia.res.wpi.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848

Frobnoid:
 |I bought a Hauppauge WinTV board (Brooktree 848 chipset) which works fine
 |under windows 95... and the kernel detects it right away...
 | I start up fxtv and I simply get a blue screen. Everything seems to be in
 |working order, I ran the -debug startup switch to find out what was
 |going on (I quickly tried the other -debug switches and none seemed to
 |show anything interesting at all). unknown oid 'hw.bt848' pops up.
 |
 | Any suggestions how I could get this working?
 |SYSCTL MIB VALUES:
 |    kern.version: FreeBSD 3.0-971225-SNAP #0: Mon Oct  5 22:16:17 EDT 1998
 |sysctl:         root@antharia.res:/usr/src/sys/compile/ANTH
 |unknown oid 'hw.bt848'

Since you aren't running a recent 3.0 or 4.0 version, you can't set your
card type via a simple sysctl cmd invocation.  Try some permutations of:

   options OVERRIDE_TUNER=9

in your kernel config file, building a new kernel each time.  To speed up
the process, boot to MSW and look at device properties for the card to get
an idea of which chips are on it.  Then match against the tuner defines in
brooktree848.c (PHILIPS_FR1236_NTSC, etc.)

Consider upgrading to the latest driver and fxtv:

   http://www.pagesz.net/~aa8vb/fxtv

Randall