Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:38:14 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird Fxtv issue, flaky card?

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Jason Andresen:
>  |When I start Fxtv, it is fine on lower channels (I use cable), but on
>  |the upper channels I get vertical "noise bars" running through the
>  |screen.
>
> I've seen something similar when the channel set params aren't set right.
> Perhaps you're set to cable and watching antenna, or vice versa.  Also,
> make sure your channelset parms are set right:
>
>    Fxtv.antennaFreqSet:     nabcst
>    Fxtv.cableFreqSet:       cableirc
>
> Do an "appres Fxtv | grep Set:" to see.

<escaflowne/p4> (192 ~): appres Fxtv | grep Set:
Fxtv*antennaFreqSet:    nabcst
Fxtv.cableFreqSet:      cableirc
Fxtv*cableFreqSet:      cableirc

>  |The strange this is, if I unmap the window (iconify it for instance) the
>  |noise in the audio channel goes away.
>
> Wow.  How close is your on-board audio chip (or audio card) to the video
> card?  (that's a shot-in-the-dark ;-)

They are one pci slot away from each other (The BT card is in slot 2,
the
SB Live Value is in slot 4).  Between them is a tiny crappy Realtek NIC.

>  |If I run an svideo cable off of the cablebox to the tuner card I get a
>  |clear picture on all of the channels.
>
> And clear audio?

The audio is run over seperate RCA cables from the Tuner box directly
into
the soundcard in that configuration.  The sound is clear with that
setup.

I've got some screenshots of the distortion if it is of any help:

There are 5 seperate shots here.  They are all fairly large
unfortunatly.

http://dwagner.yi.org/~jandrese/fxtvproblems/

(Boy, there seem to be a lot of Fxtv problems recently, are cable
companies
doing strange things these days?)

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer