Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:37:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   PXE boot vs. DHCP

I've been setting up a 4.4-RELEASE system for net booting and diskless
operation with pxeboot, and I've run into a minor but annoying
problem.  It seems that if you boot with PXE you can't use dhclient.
pxeboot configures the relevant network interface (let's call it
fxp0), NFS-mounts the root filesystem, boots the kernel, etc., and
begins to enter multi-user mode.  The rc.network script then runs
dhclient, which tries to configure fxp0 (again).  It apparently starts
out by unconfiguring fxp0's IP address, because NFS immediately hangs
with a "host unreachable" error.  At that point I have to walk over
and press the reset button.

If I disable DHCP on fxp0 in /etc/rc.conf, the system boots fine and
leaves me with a working, configured interface.  But lots of other
useful stuff that DHCP would give me is missing: e.g., the host name,
the DNS server, and so forth.  It would be nice if I could netboot the
machine and then grab all that other information with DHCP.

I'm aware that /etc/rc.diskless* allow me to put host-specific
configuration files into /config/<IP-ADDR>/etc.  But I'd much prefer
to keep all that information together in the dhcpd.conf file.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

John