Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:34:17 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mplayer audio problem with certain MPEGs

Oliver Fromme:
 |I noticed that mplayer (ver. 0.50.0.2 from the latest ports)
 |doesn't play audio on _some_ MPEGs.  Video works fine.
 |MpegTV (mtvp) plays both audio and video fine on those MPEGs.
 |Did anybody notice similar problems?
 |
 |For example, this is one of those MPEGs (no audio with mplayer):
 |http://www.plus.de/spots/mpegs/race320x240.mpg
 |
 |While this one works fine with audio:
 |http://www.plus.de/spots/mpegs/spot4_320x240.mpg

I hear what you do, except on the first one with mtv, the clip plays about
4X too fast with mtv and the audio is a complete jumble (this is with the
PCM driver, 4.3-stable circa June 24, on-board CMedia CMI8738 sound, and
mtv-1.0.2.6-BSD / mplayer-0.50.0.1).

It's interesting that these clips have very different audio bitrates.  The
one that works well with both is much lower (mtv: File->Sequence Info); the
one that works well in neither (here at least) is higher...

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com