Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:49:08 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        bartscgr@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de, Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>, multimedia@freebsd.org, Robert Edmonds <edmonds@robertedmonds.net>, xine-user <xine-user@lists.sourceforge.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [xine-user] xine on freebsd?

Jason Andresen wrote:
> Are you using XFree 4.x?  What video cards are in both boxes?
> Are they the same box just dual booting?  I've found that XFree
> 3.x is a processor pig on my system, but XFree 4.x is nice and
> light, particularly with Xv.

I'll echo the 3.x vs. 4.x observation.

> Sometimes I wonder if Linux puts more of a buffer on DVDs than
> FreeBSD does, given the way that most of the linux DVD programs
> are written (read, decode, display, continue) they tend to IO
> starve themselves under FreeBSD.

Double buffering the I/O is a definite win.  This is really an
application space issue, since you want to buffer at least two
key frames and the associated deltas... Linux tends to do this
automatically.  I've also noticed that Linux tends to precache
the index data (just like the MACH paper that cached the entire
FAT for an MSDOSFS and turned off UFS cacheing as "unfair", in
order to "prove" that MSDOSFS was "faster" than UFS), which may
be a good idea, or at least a useful mount option.

Also, look at the optimization options chosen by configure in
Linux vs. FreeBSD for compiling the player.

-- Terry