Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:40:51 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "S.N.Grigoriev" <gregory@mdmspb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: High quality sound

Quoting "S.N.Grigoriev" <gregory@mdmspb.com> (from Fri, 1 Sep 2006 =20
15:52:13 +0400):

> Hi.
>
> I would like to know if there is a hardware/software combination
> allowing FreeBSD(amd64) to be a CD player with sound quality
> comparable with HiFi standalone CD players.

If you talk about off-the-shelf products in the super market: yes, =20
just connect the analog audio out of the CD-ROM to your =20
soundcard/soundchip (typically the necessary cable comes with the =20
CD-ROM) and use any decent multimedia player (most of them are able to =20
play CDs).

If you talk about really high quality stuff (which you don't get at =20
every corner on the street), I don't think so. But you can play with =20
digital extraction of the audio data from the CD and feeding it to an =20
external DAC via the SPDIF interface of the soundcard.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
BOFH excuse #226:

A star wars satellite accidently blew up the WAN

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137