Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:24:16 +0100
From:      Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>
To:        void@f-m.fm, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: holding rust at a particular version

void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:

> The entire exercise is to get round having to build latest rust
> locally on a weak system. Rust is a special case because it won't
> build under qemu. rust on arm64 pkg servers is 1.76 but in
> ports it's 1.77.

Yeah, similar reason here. I know it's "buyer beware", but it's a risk
I'm willing to take on my small arm boxes.

> >On my slower machines I less care about, I have a script that automatically
> >sets the DEFAULT_VERSIONS for various things (in a file /var/run/port-default.versions.mk
> >that is loaded by make.conf) to the latest currently installed version - but
> >only if that version is still a valid port in the ports tree.
> >
> >It's here if you're interested: https://www.catflap.org/jamie/freebsd/
>
> The DEFAULT_VERSIONS for rust in /var/run/port-default.versions.mk
> are either rust or rust-nightly. I can't see how the version can be held
> to a numeric value here.

Yes, sorry, the DEFAULT_VERSIONS thing I mentioned was referring to the more
general issue with other ports, and not the issue you're having with rust.

For rust, stick with the CARGO_BUILDDEP mentioned earlier.

See /usr/ports/Mk/Uses/cargo.mk for more info!

> thanks for everything. your link looks interesting.

Cheers, feedback welcome!