# route  -n get 8.8.8.8
   route to: 8.8.8.8
destination: 8.8.8.0
       mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 185.1.147.22
        fib: 0
  interface: vtnet1
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,PROTO1>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    mtu        weight    expire
       0         0         0         0      1500         1         0

And DNS on the system doesn't work as all DNS requests go out with a
source address of 185.1.147.211 (the IX endpoint) which isn't exported
as an Internet route.

While I can set a static route for 8.8.8.8 for this particular case, it
would be messy to have to set up static routes for every possible local
connection (other DNS servers, outbound SMTP for periodic/cron mail,
etc.).

I assume that there is a group of BGP enthusiasts using FreeBSD lurking
on freebsd-net.  What have you done to solve this problem?

I'd also love to hear other tips for running BGP on FreeBSD.