Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:50:11 +0100
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dumping large partition to USB drive fails
References:  <20070625224507.da4e62c2.ota@j.email.ne.jp> <20070626060948.GA20203@slackbox.xs4all.nl> <20070627153221.1a2cce90@localhost> <20070627061206.GA58111@slackbox.xs4all.nl> <20070627201905.2102ddc4@localhost> <20070627151123.GA71331@slackbox.xs4all.nl> <46828AB4.9090603@dial.pipex.com> <20070628025331.63bfa84a@localhost> <20070628185545.GB13456@slackbox.xs4all.nl> <20070628192415.GA68930@eos.sc1.parodius.com> <20070628200610.GA15640@slackbox.xs4all.nl>

On 28 Jun 2007, at 9:06 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:24:15PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 08:55:46PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
>>> A tip from Paul Mather pointed to problems with USB/firewire
>>> chipset,
>>> the PL-3507, which was what I found in my enclosure. Most likely
>>> this is
>>> the culprit. I'm going to buy a new enclosure.
>>
>> Can you provide these details (forward what Paul sent you, etc.)?  It
>> would be nice to have this info somewhere in the archives in case
>> someone mails about similar...
>
> Here it is;
>
>> I don't have your original posting, so I don't know what model of
>> chipset you have, though I do dimly recall it being a Prolific,
>> which is
>> why I thought I'd e-mail you.  Given that the PL3507 had an early
>> history of problems when writing to it using large transfers (and
>> that
>> GELI uses large transfers, IIRC), and you say that enclosure is
>> old, you
>> might want to see if chipset bugs are the source of your problem.
>>
>> Here is a link I had bookmarked when I was looking for firmware
>> updates for
>> the Prolific PL3507:
>> http://missig.org/julian/blog/2004/06/10/prolific-pl3507-firewire-
>> device/
>>
>> Here is a link to the corruption issue that plagued various chipsets,
>> including the Prolific PL3507:
>> http://www.bustrace.com/delayedwrite/index.htm

My apologies for not doing a "reply all" when responding to Roland
initially.  As a bit of extra context to the above, a while ago I
bought a cheap external FireWire/USB DVD writer for my iBook G4.  I
was disappointed to discover upon using it that its read performance
when using the FireWire interface was much poorer than when using its
USB connector.  (It annoyed me especially because I had bought
something that supported FireWire because I wanted to daisy-chain it
with my Western Digital MyBook external hard drive to avoid using up
one of the two USB ports on my iBook.)

Because the FireWire and USB performance of my MyBook external hard
drive is good, I doubted the problem lay with the iBook, and
suspected the enclosure chipset instead.  When I began searching the
Web for information about the Prolific PL3507 chipset, used in the
enclosure, I quickly began discovering horror stories (see above
links for a taste).  I realised that, if I had my time over and had
known this DVD writer's enclosure used that chipset, I would not have
bought it and would have looked for something whose enclosure used a
different one (e.g., Oxford).  I also realised that not all
enclosures are created equal, and it's definitely worthwhile to know
what chipset it uses beforehand and make sure you avoid the bad ones
(like the Prolific). :-)

Somewhat fortunately, revisions B and C of the Prolific PL3507 can
have their firmware upgraded via USB.  (Unfortunately, Prolific only
appear to make a Windows flash writer application available.)  It
seems that the latest firmware at least appears to correct the worst
excesses of the chipset, though people do still seem to harbour
mistrust over the hardware and complain of performance problems.

Although I have no plans to buy another enclosure for this DVD writer
(because it works "well enough" for the task in hand), I think I
would were it housing a hard drive, if nothing else because of the
poor performance relative to the WD MyBook.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa