Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, Yu-Shun Wang <yushunwa@ISI.EDU>
Subject:   ARP & IP fragments

<<On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:49:02 -0700, Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU> said:

> Hi,
> we're seeing a strange thing happening, related to ARP and IP fragments.

Not strange at all.  The ARP cache only queues a single packet waiting
for a reply, so the first few fragments you send get tossed.  We could
easily arrange it so that the first frag, rather than the last, gets
sent, but it still wouldn't help you.  Unfortunately, the FreeBSD
codebase seems to be going in exactly the opposite direction of ILP,
which would help.

It might be an interesting exercise, and not terribly difficult, to
restructure the network stack such that packets are queued before they
are fragmented, and if the interface wants to fragment something it
calls back up the stack to have it done.  This would also allow smart
network interfaces to provide hardware fragmentation assistance, which
might be helpful on some media.

-GAWollman