Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:26:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@prognet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Aaron Clark <jclark1@mdc.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32-Bit Soundcard Intialization

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> This appears to be a PnP initialization issue, and it's been noted by
> a number of people - one guy can't get the card to initialize unless
> he enables "ICU" configuration in his BIOS, another can't do it at all
> unless he does exactly what you did on your professor's machine.

On most motherboards, "ICU Enabled" means that the settings for the PnP
cards are hardcoded by the BIOS's ICU program (usually some pretty menu
driven dos program).  With ICU disabled, the BIOS does it's best to
configure the card.

In older motherboards like many ASUS brand pentium boards, the PnP
configuration code is goofed up.  This means that disabling the ICU will
cause the PnP code in the BIOS to run, thus confusing the PnP card (and
usually making it unconfigurable by my PnP support code).  You should
try to flash in the latest version of your motherboard's BIOS (especially
if it's an Asus motherboard).

Sujal