Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 16:41:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VAT: The Problems Continue

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:

Thanks soooo much for the info you've passed on so far.  I'm willing to
stick with this one to the very end, even sacrificing my machine for it.  :)

> Well folks,
>
> Please ask as many questions as possible so I or someone else can
> create a web page and a more detailed Vat.info file.

** PLEASE DO!!! **

> There is NO full duplex audio yet available for SB cards.

OK.  I have heard that it could be possible and that some patches are in
the works for this, so I'm willing to hang tight and see what comes out.

> The SB series of cards is currently not well supported in vat-3.x
> you have to use vat-4.0a2-and-half.gz available in rah.star-gate.com:/pub
> and do NOT use vmix with vat-and-half.

Questions:

1.  Does 4.0 require the very latest VoxWare drivers, or will it run with
the one (3.0beta) in 2.1.0-RELEASE?

2.  I run it and it barfs with:

ld.so: vat40: Can't find shared library "libtk40.so.1.0"

What do I need to do to alleviate this problem?  Install TK 4.0.x?

> vat-and-half is just a straight compilation of vat-4.0a2 which basically
> operates in half duplex mode and allows such cards as the SB to work.

The version I have must be earlier than 4.0a2 since it runs on my
machine w/o tk4.0.

> rah.star-gate.com:/pub/vat-4.0a2.bin.tar.gz is a full duplex version
> of vat-4.0a2 DO NOT use this with SB cards because it will not work.

Will steer clear.

> Additionally, vat-4.0a2.bin.tar.gz, requires the latest sound driver
> which is :
> rah.star-gate.com:/pub/snd01041996.tar.gz

Check, doesn't help me much.

> If you have SB type card, and you are not a sound driver or driver hacker
> do NOT try to use snd01041996.tar.gz

double check.

> So in tabular form:
>
> vat-4.0a2-and-half.gz          works with all cards however it works in
>                                half-duplex. DO NOT use VMIX

This looks equivalent to the ``vat-and-half.gz'' that was on rah for a
while.  I just ran it and get the test tones!  This is good.  I will need
to test it with my other machine (who's operator is on a job right now).

> vat-4.0a2.bin.tar.gz           requires latest sound driver and it has
>                                full-duplex audio support and does not
>                                required vmix for cards whose CS4231 works
>                                in full duplex mode such as the AudioTrix Pro
>                                and the GUS PnP. NO NEED FOR VMIX

This is the avoid one, right?

> snd01041996.tar.gz             Stay away from this is if you have a SB
>                                card and don't know how to hack on
>                                the sound driver.

Gotcha.

Now that vat-and-half appears to be working (w/o the tk40 libs,
strangely), I'll go check it on my other machine.  I'll report back if
it's working.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant