Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:41:48 -0800
From:      Sean Harding <sharding@dogcow.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound problems with NeoMagic NM256AV

I'm having some trouble getting sound working on my laptop (Dell Latitude
CPi A-366T) with a NeoMagic NM256AV sound card. My system is running:

FreeBSD eris.sharding.net 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #5: Fri Oct 26
18:19:06 PDT 2001     root@eris.sharding.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/ERIS  i386

(cvsuped on 10-26).

I saw some similar problems in the archives and on Deja, but no conclusive
answers or solutions.

Various applications have different problems. xmms pops an error that says
it can't "open audio" and then just decodes the files to disk. mpg123
looks like it runs normally, but no sound comes out and it exits much more
quickly than it should. 'play' from sox does sometimes make sound come out
of the speakers. But it just plays the first little bit of the file several
times and then exits. Sometimes it exits silently, sometimes it says "sox:
Error writing: Error writing data to file".

In my logs, I get:

Oct 28 15:31:57 eris /kernel: pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

/dev/sndstat says:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Oct 25 2001 18:03:37
Installed devices:
pcm0: <NeoMagic 256AV> at memory 0xf8c00000, 0xfda00000 irq 5 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

dmesg says:

pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV SVGA controller> at 0.0 irq 11
pcm0: <NeoMagic 256AV> mem 0xfda00000-0xfdafffff,0xf8c00000-0xf8ffffff irq 5 at device 0.1 on pci1

So I'm kind of stuck now. I'm not sure where to continue with
troubleshooting.

Any thoughts on what's happening here?

Thanks.

sean