Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 06:49:15 -0500
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us (Jim Durham)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape audio set up question

Jim Durham:

 |Something I *never* got to work was "background". Some web pages
 |have background midi sound tracks using background=somefile.mid
 |up in the body section of the document. These never played on the
 |FreeBSD version of Netscape, even though I could click on a midi
 |file link and it would play.

If you're referring to embedded content ala:

<EMBED SRC="av/wav/startrek/hail.wav" Width=2 Height=2 Autostart=True >
<BGSOUND SRC="av/wav/startrek/hail.wav" Width=2 Height=2 Autostart=true >

I haven't been able to get FreeBSD's Netscape to do these at all, while the
Linux version under FreeBSD will do it just fine.

I grabbed some source for Netscape plug-ins that just system()s the command
of your choice, built Linux .so's to handle the MIDI, AU, WAV, AIFF,
etc. mime types, and installed in ~/.netscape/plugins.  It works well
enough with the Linux version, but dain bramaged Netscape seems to want to
ignore plug-ins if there's an entry in the user or global mailcap file for
that content type (even though it won't use these mailcap mappings for
embedded content).  This of course prevents other MIME-aware programs
(Lynx, Mutt, ELM/Metamail, etc.) from getting these mappings, which I
wasn't willing to sacrifice.

No clue why Netscape didn't include plug-in support for *BSD Netscape.
It'd be nice to have, but until they fix the .mailcap conflict, I'll just
leave it disabled.

Randall Hopper