Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:10:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Subject:   Re: webcamd-0.1.23 does not start via rc.d

Matthias Apitz wrote:
 > I have webcamd-0.1.23 in a 9-CURRENT with ports from CVS from today;
 > even with the correct value in /etc/rc.conf webcamd does not start:
 > [...]
 > It seems to missing something:

Yes.  You must specify the USB unit and address, which you
can lookup with usbconfig.  For example, when the camera
attaches as ugen1.2, you must specify "1.2".

Personally I have written a small wrapper script that is
run via /etc/devd.conf.  So, when I attach the camera,
devd calls my wrapper script.  The script calls usbconfig,
parses the output and starts webcamd with the correct
unit and address arguments.  (webcamd terminates auto-
matically when I detach the camera, so I don't need a
separate call for that.)

webcamd comes with a pre-configured entry for devd.conf
(it uses $cdev), but that one never worked for me on
FreeBSD 8.  Don't know why.  (The wrapper script was
trivial to write, so I never cared much.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"The ITU has offered the IETF formal alignment with its
corresponding technology, Penguins, but that won't fly."
        -- RFC 2549