Date:      Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:54:01 +0200
From:      Roger Olofsson <raggen@passagen.se>
To:        Michael Christie <michael@powerzone.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High Availability FreeBSD www cluster

Michael Christie skrev:
> Hi all ,
>
> I want to cluster some freeBSD servers, The purpose of this is to
> learn.  I would like to  run some basic services like www and mail on a
> test network. I would like to set up the servers so if one server falls
> over the other will take over the services automatically, load
> balanceing would be good as well. I have googled, I could be looking in
> the wrong place , there seems not to be much in regard to seting up
> freebsd in a cluster, lots on linux. I have looked at the High
> Availability Linux project , I see on the front page that it will run on
> freebsd.
>
> So I am a bit lost and i am wanting to learn how to cluster freebsd web
> and mail servers, I have looked at  Beowulf clusters, which seem to give
> computers more grunt, Can some on on the list please advise me on what
> clustering softwhere i need to get started and if the High Availability
> Linux project softwhere will do the job.
>

> web links any thing to help me get started would be good. No I do not
> want to change over to linux.
>

> Thanks
> 270.5.12/1595 - Release Date: 2008-08-06 08:23

Hello,

I have been running freevrrpd and pen (http://siag.nu/pen/ or in ports)
for HA web services.

My setup was a firewall/gateway consisting of more than 1 machine using
freevrrpd thus enabling failover for the firewall/gateway. I write
firewall and not firewalls since freevrrpd creates a virtual ip that is
failover'ed between the machines.

On the firewall/gateway pen were running and pointed towards the web
servers. Pen can point at as many web servers as you like and balances
the load between them in a very simple way. If the web servers are
identical in setup they become redundant. DNS loadbalancing is very
similar.

Good luck!

/Roger