Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:29:42 +0000
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Werner Rips <wrips@kordel.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to transcode

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:59:24 +0100
Werner Rips <wrips@kordel.de> wrote:

> i'm workin on FreeBSD4.9Release. with the following script i use to
> transcode regular dvd's so that i can dvdauthor the resulting movie
> files:
>
> mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -vo null -ao pcm -aofile audio.wav
> mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -of mpeg -nosound -ovc copy -o
> video.mpeg ffmpeg -hq -b 2000 -vcodec copy -ar 48000 -ac 2 -i
> audio.wav -i video.mpeg output.mpg
>
> tcextract -i output.mpg -x mpeg2 > video
> tcextract -i output.mpg -x mp3 > audio
>
> mplex -f 8 audio video -o movie1-%d
>

> but i run into trouble, if i have any kind of  avi files. Everything
> works fine until mplex has to build the new movie files. it complain
> with a message similar like that:

	You haven't done anything with the video stream so it will be whatever
was in the original. For a DVD this will be mpeg2 which is what a DVD
wants and what mplex can handle, for an AVI source this will be
(probably) some variant of mpeg4 which DVD players will not handle and
which cannot be put into an mpeg packet stream. What you need to do is
to replace the "-vcodec copy" in the ffmpeg command line with something
like "-vcodec mpeg2video -b 6400" to make ffmpeg recode the video stream
into mpeg2.

> so, please tell me how can i tcextract from some avi files so that
> mplex can do its job? is there a better (shorter) way to come to movie

	For DVD's you can just mount the thing, decrypt the vobs with vobcopy
or dvdbackup and dvdauthor the resulting VOBs, of course you get all the
audio tracks and subtitle tracks this way and no menus to choose them
with (unless it is a DVD5 original in which case at you can just burn a
mirror made with dvdbackup).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <s.ohara@elsevier.nl>
public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."  -- Richard Feynman