Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:48:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Sperber <sperber@w3.brgkepler.asn-graz.ac.at>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TV, fxtv, too slow

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Sperber:
>  |>  |I just upgraded my computer and since this upgrade my tv doesn't work
>  |>  |properly any more. - It's too slow.
>  |>  |I had a K6-2 500 and a PCI (Riva TNT2) graphic card, now i have a
>  |>  |Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz and a Geforce 2 MX (AGP).
>  |>  |When I maximise the fxtv window it is suddenly interlaced and shadows of
>  |>  |former pictures stay... - I tried several things, but nothing
>  |>  |worked...  It's also intressting that my dga test is slower than the
>  |>  |one of my cousin who has a Celeron 300, Matrox Milenium G450.
>  |>
>  |> Hmm.  Let's see your "fxtv -debug startup" output.
>  |Here it comes... ;)
>  |     7     TrueColor     24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      Yes
>  |     4     TrueColor     24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      No
>  |     0     DirectColor   24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      No
>  |     0     DirectColor   24  4,4  00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   --      No
>  |Chosen Visual is 24-bpp TrueColor
>  |XF86VidModeQueryVersion() succeeded - version = 2.01
>
> Looks good to me.  Appears you're using DGA, but why it'd be slow
> (particularly with an AGP card) is a mystery.  It's sounds rather like the
> DMA transfers for the frames are being aborted before they complete.  I
> used to see this more often on my old Pentium system when I had a bunch of
> other stuff going on on the PCI bus.

Well i have 5 PCI cards in use...
But it's intressting - i tried it in windows and it worked - the picture
was not nice, but i used old drivers...
BUT I don't want to use Windows for TV...

> Do some searches on groups.google.com for your motherboard.  Could be
> anything -- BIOS AGP/PCI settings or BIOS version-specific problems maybe?
> Also, some versions of FreeBSD don't support the new Athlon MB chipsets
> well.  I read about issues with my new MB chipset which are resolved in
> -STABLE before I upgraded, so I SUPed 4.3-STABLE and no problems so far --
> works great.  FWIW, I've got an ASUS A7M266 here, and I'm also DMAing video
> across the PCI-AGP bridge.  The northbridge is AMD 761; southbridge: VIA 686B.
> For the 686B, there were also IDE data corruption issues resolved by the
> latest BIOS IIRC.

Last night i upgraded my freeBSD to the newest stable version...
And I also had a look on the newest BIOS version - I have the newest...
:/
Any further ideas?

	Sperber

----------------------------* signature *-----------------------------
|                                              _                     |
|                                              ~\\_                  |
|                                                \\\\                |
|    sperber@w3.brgkepler.asn-graz.ac.at     ('-//////-//            |
|    http://sperber.cjb.net                   //////(((-)            |