Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 12:28:21 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        John Murray <jmurray@vt.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv problems

John Murray:
 |I recently purchased a STB TV PCI card, and installed the driver and
 |fxtv.  I can watch TV in fxtv just fine. But when I attempt to do any
 |type of capture it doesn't work.  If I freeze an image, then try to save
 |it I get a error message saying that there's no frozen image.  Also if

Hmm.  Interesting.

 |try to save the video, nothing is captured.  This seems to be a problem
 |transferring images to main memory.  What is weird, I downloaded
 |videocapture.c from the bt848 page, and it will capture images.  I know
 |there is not a lot of information here, but I have no clue as to where to
 |start fixing this problem.
 |
 |This machine is running:  FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE

Should be fine.  I was running this until December.

 |here is part of the boot messages:
 |
 |bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 14 on pci0:7
 |STB TV/PCI, Temic NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.
 |
 |Any help is appreciated,  if you need any more information just ask.

Sounds like the driver's never firing off a signal to indicate it's done
capturing a frame (no clue why).

Ok, well first thing's first.  If you haven't already, grab the latest
released versions of the bktr driver and Fxtv:

         ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/bt848.tar.gz
         http://multiverse.com/~rhh/fxtv

and see if you see the same result.

If not, next thing: In Fxtv, put a printf at the top of the frame
completion signal handler (the driver issues this signal):

     static void TVCAPTUREFrameDoneSigHdlr()
     {
+        printf( "TVCAPTUREFrameDoneSigHdlr\n" );
         S_frame_done_count++;
     #ifdef linux

When you freeze a frame, run with direct video disabled, or capture movies,
you should see one printf per captured frame.  My guess is, with your
current setup, you won't see this (again, no clue why yet).  But this'll
help pin down whether it's a driver or an app bug.

Thanks,

Randall