Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 22:01:54 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ problem (was Re: IRQ timing)

With the info which you have given us , most likely the problem is
the sound driver and is easy to probe just borrow a gus pnp pro or
a SB 16 PnP and try your apps with our sound driver:

ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp18.tar.gz which supports the
SB 16 and the GUS PnP Pro

Right now, I am playing an mpeg file:

{hasty} mpg123 track1.mpg
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59g (97/04/23). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Playing MPEG stream from track1.mpg ...
MPEG 1.0, Layer: II, Freq: 44100, mode: Stereo, modext: 0, BPF: 1254
Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: Yes, CRC: No, emphasis: 0.
Bitrate: 384 Kbits/s, Extension value: 0

No clicks, no pause while I typing this note and I am compiling
the kernel in the background right --- so it appears that the
the core logic handling dma and IRQs is not that bad 8)

There is nothing special about the way that the gus pnp is handling the
mpeg playback  since it is using the CS4231 emulation mode which
is a dumb codec.

My cpu utilization for mp123 ir around 9.5% so it is back to
basics for the OSS driver for your card.

	Cheers,
	Amancio