Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:09:22 -0500
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@fireduck.com>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   simple graphics library?

I am a Computer Science student at Virginia Tech.  For one of my classes I
get to make an image processing toolkit.

I will be doing all image manipulations (blurs, convolutions, histogram
equalization, etc) with my own functions on my own data structures because I
am trying to learn this stuff.  However, I feel no strong need to learn the
details of various formats (bmp, gif, jpg, etc).

I'm looking for a graphics library that I can use to read images from the
disk and write them to the disk, allowing me to do my image manipulations
in-between.

I am currently using gd (from the ports tree) for this, but gd seems to be
limited to an 256 color pallet, which doesn't work well for some of my task.

Does anyone have any suggestions for such a low level image library?  (or
knows where I can find some documention on the headers and structor or bmp
files?)