Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:56:04
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: playRTPMPEG

At 04:24 PM 2/8/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Ross Finlayson wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
> > As promised, Unix (including FreeBSD) versions of the "playRTPMPEG" tool
> > are now available:
> > 	<http://www.live.com/multikit/playRTPMPEG.html>;
>
>Is there a chance to get that in source?

At some point I plan to "open source" large parts of this (including the
"liveMedia" classes from which both "liveCaster" and "playRTPMPEG" are
built), but not right away:
- This stuff is still incomplete (e.g., RTCP still needs to be added);
- Massaging the source tree into a form appropriate for general use would
take some time (that I don't have right now);
- I'd need to set up the appropriate legal framework for this - in
particular, to ensure that divergent, non-interoperable versions don't end
up spreading around the Internet.  (For networking software - and in
particular multicast software - interoperability at the protocol level
should be the #1 priority, with the benefits of source-code commonality
coming later.)

(My immediate focus these days is finding a way to make any living at all
from this stuff... :(

>I'd like to try it out on Alpha, too).

If I could get a guest account on an Alpha box, I'd be happy to (try to)
build a version of "playRTPMPEG" (and "liveCaster", and "multikit", and
"liveGate"...) for Alpha.  (BTW, this is Ultrix/Alpha you're talking about,
right?  As for WinNT/Alpha, it's possible that the Windoze version of this
software will already run on such a system (via x86 emulation), although I
don't know if anyone's tried this yet.)

	Ross.