Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 17:19:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        smpatel@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Couldn't change IRQ on Creative SB16 PnP

Terry --

Replying to:

	No.  These configurations do not exist anywhere but the
	Windows 95 Registry.  They are not attributes of the card.

I'm confused, then.  It appears that the "pnpinfo" program is getting
detailed info on multiple configurations from the sound card.  If the
configurations are not attributes of the card, then what is "pnpinfo"
seeing when it reads and reports "Dependent Function" material?

	The "Configuration 0" is not real in Windows 95, either:
	it exists solely as the result of the BIOS PnP configura-
	tion for the device.

Please note, BTW, that I do =not= have Windows 95 on my system.  In
addition to FreeBSD, I have a partition with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1,
which I use solely for running a few "legacy" apps.  When I said the
default configuration info I was talking about was the same as Win95's
"configuration 0", I didn't mean to imply that I was actually running
Win95.  Apologies if I confused anyone.

	This is not going to happen.  The PnP card is being con-
	figured by the PnP BIOS as the first unallocated interrupt
	for which the graph soloution is non-conflicting with
	other PnP hardware, and for which the PnP BIOS does not
	have defined ISA devices.  In other words, it's 5 because
	the BIOS believes 5 is free.

Well, I went into the BIOS and reconfigured the on-board parallel port
(normally at 378H/IRQ7) to be 378H/IRQ5.  I rebooted with my "SB16 uses
IRQ10" kernel, but the sound card wouldn't work.  I then ran "pnpinfo",
and the first configuration listed by "pnpinfo" still gave IRQ5 as the
one and only available IRQ -- even though I had set up the on-board
parallel port to use IRQ5.

	This is a different problem, then.  If the sound card is
	not PnP, then moving the IRQ in the configuration probably
	does not change the IRQ used by the sound card, unless you
	have very smart drivers.

My sound card =is= PnP.  At least, it claims to be, and "pnpinfo" sees
it.  What I was trying to say is that it's an ISA PnP card (not a PCI
PnP card).

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/