Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:59:21 +0100
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Oleg Moskalenko <oleg.moskalenko@citrix.com>
Subject:   CFT: new BSD-licensed sort available

Hi Folks,

some time ago I started writing a BSDL sort variant from scratch since
the OpenBSD version did not support multibyte locales and was hard to
modify. The development was a bit stalled but recently, Oleg Moskalenko
<oleg.moskalenko@citrix.com> showed interest in continuing this version
and he has made a very good job on this BSD sort variant. Now it is
compatible with the base version of GNU sort but the performance in most
cases (string sort and -n) is quite behind GNU sort (although with -g it
is about *4 times* faster). Oleg is still working on optimizing the code
and the long-term plan is to drop GNU sort once this variant is good
enough to replace it. For now, it is only available in Ports Collection
as textproc/bsdsort but if there is no objection or any serious bug
report I plan to add it to base installed as bsdsort, being GNU sort
still the default sort until it proves that we can safely drop GNU sort.
If you are interested in this sort utility, could you please try the
port and report us any issue that you experience?

Thanks in advance,
Gabor