Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:48:22 -0700
From:      Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
To:        Moin Rahman <bofh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: holding rust at a particular version

On 2024-04-15 09:31, Moin Rahman wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2024, at 6:27 PM, Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2024-04-15 06:33, void wrote:
>>> Is it possible, either within poudriere or using traditional ports,
>>> to not have ports building fetching latest rust?
>>> rust 1.76 is already installed. 1.77 is in the ports tree.
>>> 1.76 is the latest for -current on arm64 on the pkg builders.
>>> if I go into the ports tree and build something needing rust,
>>> it'll build 1.77 rust locally instead of using the already-installed 1.76.
>>> which would tie the machine up for hours if not days if allowed to
>>> proceed.
>>> Can this be avoided?
>> make.conf(5) is your friend. You should be able to add
>> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=rust1.76
>> to accomplish your task. NOTE you may want to comment this line later
>> should it cause problems with other ports that aren't your current target.
>> IOW your choices here should be chosen carefully and watched closely. It's
>> easy to set it and forget it. :)
>> To get the right permutation. Have a look in Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk
>>
>> --
>> --Chris Hutchinson
>>

> This is not correct. :/
I'm sorry to hear this. For the sake of clarity; Is this just my ignorance
for rust?
I have no difficulty accomplishing this task with other targets -- perl, php,
*SQL,...
So long as the *chosen* version is still available within the ports tree.
Granted;
this isn't a one-size-fits-all situation. Much the same as mixing ports &&
packages.
But if carefully curated, has worked for me.

--
--Chris Hutchinson