Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:10:30 -0700
From:      <soralx@cydem.org>
To:        mat@cnd.mcgill.ca
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CT5880-E 4-speaker output

> > Is anyone interested in patching 'es137x.c' to enable 4-speaker output
> > on a CS5880-E based audio card (built into mainboard; Line-In can be
> > reconfigured as another Line-Out)? I've recieved some souce code of
> > DOS drivers (written in C) for the 137x-based cards from Creative,
> > but I don't have enough experience to port the functionality to the
> > FreeBSD dirver. Also, after I managed to completely halt my machine
> > while experimenting with the driver, which almost killed the /usr
> > slice (softupdates...), I'd prefer to spend the spare time I have
> > on doing backups :)
>
> 	Hey, don't give up!

I don't, but I figured that it would be _much_ faster [and safer :)]
for somebody more experienced in sound coding (and C coding in general)
than I to do that. All I need for now is to make the driver flip some bits
in the card's register to conver Line-In to Line-Out and enable copying
primary stereo stream to this other output.
When I get some time (and experience), I plan to extend the driver
functionality a bit more by adding (bass/treble,3D enh,gain,mic boost)
controls and real double DAC 4-speaker (surround) output mode. It seems
like most (all?) of this is already done in ALSA, so I'd need just to
figure out how it all works and port the necessary bits.

Or probably I'll buy some PCI card with higher sound quality (not that
it is bad now, but it still could be better) and [5|6|7].1 mode. Does
anyone have any reccomendations on such good (but not too expensive)
card? Is there any sound card that can work in FreeBSD in 4 (and more)
speakers config mode?

> Bring the system to single user mode
> (kill -TERM 1) and force the the disks the re-mount read-only (mount
> -u -o ro /).  Then load your hacked module.  This is typically how I
> test/debug kernel modules.

OK, this sounds sane; I probably should have done that right when I started %)

Timestamp: 1073721041
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/