Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:13:59 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        bartscgr@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Robert Edmonds <edmonds@robertedmonds.net>, multimedia@freebsd.org, Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>, xine-user <xine-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: [xine-user] xine on freebsd?

On 12-Sep-2001 Guenter Bartsch wrote:
>  even when using XvShm to display thevideo data xfree86 uses significantly
>  more cpu power on freebsd than on linux (~15% on freebsd compared to ~1-3%
>  on linux) which further indicates there's something wrong here.
>
>  Comments, hints, ideas very welcome,

My personal recommendation is to use mplayer. (ports/graphics/mplayer).

It _rocks_ :)
The SDL video renderer supports the Xv extension and can go fullscreen and the
press of a key. I haven't had this program crash once yet even after feeding it
some pretty nasty movie files.

[xine-users@ ignore this paragraph please ;) ]

As to your actual question..
How to you know the Linux and FreeBSD top's are measuring the same thing? top
is a very poor way to measure CPU usage, a much better idea would be to play
the movie and then exit, and measure the total CPU time used for that activity.

This would be moderatly difficult for Xfree86, but maybe do something like..

1) Edit .xinitrc to run xine with the movie as it's only activity.
2) Run /usr/bin/time startx

Compare the numbers between the two systems :)

Also, are you sure that you have enough shared memory on the freebsd box? By
default the amount of shm you can use is fairly small, and if you use GNOME it
will easily eat it all.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum